Sold Out - ETA on Helm

Hi everyone -

We’re working through a supply chain issue that is affecting our timelines for making more v1 HW at this time. That’s the cause of the holdup and we have been responsive to all customers who have contacted support to indicate we’re still working on dates and a customer can request a refund at any time.

Separately, as @KGMe speculated, we are working on a new iteration of the product and we’ll have more to say about that later!

5 Likes

This is really exciting! I have been a Helm user vey early on. One of the best and most reliable products I have ever owned. Can’t wait to see the V2 hardware.

3 Likes

Helm team, I think it’d be helpful to do like what is often seen on kickstarter’s and provide updates in a single place that’s easily viewable in a timeline like format.
If you don’t have the cycles to create a new webpage, consider leveraging this forum: Create a topic named something like “Product Ship dates” and another named “feature release updates”, lock it so that only support can post to it. Each time a date slips, add a post in the topic with an update. You can also use it as a chance to stir up excitement about “new and exciting product designs coming up”. It’ll reduce the anxiety and worry customers are having and get them excited, as we saw in the previous posts in this thread.
I don’t think customers should have to open a ticket or chat directly with you to find out what could be easily accessible, public knowledge.

And finally, provide some dates! A date that changes is better than no date at all.
Consumers, I’m sure you feel the same as me when I say I’d rather a well thought out product with no gaping security vulnerabilities and won’t catch fire on my server rack than new and exciting features that break-all-the-things. The feelings I’m observing here are totally understandable but then again, it’s not like they have competitors lol. A refund threat seems like a plan to stick with gmail. With that said, the lack of competitors speaks to the trail Helm is forging. Let’s see if they can start being more vocal and have a little patience as they get this right.

3 Likes

I have been a staunch supporter and defender of Helm, but it’s starting to get frustrating.

I have referred users to Helm who were asking me when the storage expansion firmware will be released. I couldn’t answer them.

I turned to @helm_community months ago for answers. I’m greeted with the same answer they’ve been giving me for several months, “soon.” My definition of “soon” must be very different from theirs.

I have friends and family disappointed with me, because I took what Helm told me and passed it to them and they used this information to make their decision to buy a Helm.

Specifically, the only reason why my referrals and I purchased this unit was the storage expansion, coming soon… supposedly! I really wish Helm would take this serious. Walk the walk. At this point words are just noise.

4 Likes

I totally hear you. It’s definitely not the greatest but I’m hoping they see that gap and close it. Being more vocal and and providing more eta‘s on products/features/sw updates along with status updates will go a loooong way to making us all feel more comfortable.

2 Likes

Agree with the recent comments. It’s about time we get some more detailed updates. I already paid my renewal fee, so no threat from me there. lol

If there really is trouble here, hopefully they stand firm with their promise to Ars…

But what if the company shuts its doors?

The gateway and backup Amazon dependencies raise one big question: if you spend your $500 on a Helm server and move all your stuff into it, and then Helm goes out of business, are you stuck with a worthless pointy plastic box that you can’t repurpose?

Once again, Helm support provided what I would consider to be the only acceptable answer: “If we cease operations, we will open source what’s required for customers to spin up their own service in an AWS account so the server continues to work. Similarly, the dockerized services will be open sourced next year so they can continue to stay current with security patches.”

3 Likes

@KGMe

Where did you see this post?

Review on Ars…

4 Likes

@KGMe
Thanks for posting the source.

@helm_community

Any updates? It’s been 4 months since the OP, and I’m guessing 6 months or more since units have been unavailable for purchase. :frowning:

3 Likes

No updates? Is Helm going the way of the PicoBrew? :frowning:

Hi @KGMe - as we have stated previously on the forums and through support tickets, there is a supply chain issue affecting v1. The novel corona virus situation in China further hindered the problem.

We are discussing internally the best way to proceed which includes possibly converted v1 pre-orders to v2 orders that are expected to ship this summer.

I have no complaints about rolling people forward. I think what people really want is to know (say on a monthly basis) that there are still lights on, and people working the problem. Even if the answer doesn’t change, having somebody continue to post that the problem is being worked would help.

2 Likes

Thanks, the summer expectation is great to hear. Hope it goes well!

Hoping support for adding drives comes sooner though.

@helm_community Whats going on with the V1 units you havent had stock in this product for months maybe November last year. I know there were supply problems with China, however thats resolved. I want to get a unit but im not putting down a 50$ deposit to find out you were out of business and not get my money back, i’ve done that a few to many times with Plastic and others. My questions is when will inventory be in stock to purchase, If you dont know when, why do you not know when? I dont see why or how you all could not know when you will have inventory to sell.

1 Like

Hi @JerryMorgan - unfortunately the supply chain issue affecting v1 has not been resolved. We understand the frustration around this - we’re not happy with the situation either. We also understand others have been burned by pre-orders of other products where they lost their money and the product never shipped. We have always refunded any customer who’s requested one and we’ve been clear that deposits are always refundable. We’re working to solve this problem but we are unable to provide any details on when we expect it to be resolved because that information is not available at this time.

We are taking substantially different measures for how our v2 is being developed so that the supply chain issues affecting v1 cannot occur again.

2 Likes

Hi @MZY -

This upgrade is a top priority for us and we’ve been working to get it ready for a broader release. It’s taking us longer than expected because we are releasing it with a significant platform upgrade that updates the kernel along with other system components. We’re continuing to work out these issues before the release is ready and will do a better job of providing more detailed updates going forward.

Thanks,
Giri (co-founder/CEO)

2 Likes

23 days ago:

Sorry, but I want my deposit back.