Sold Out - ETA on Helm

With the Helm sold out is there any ETA when they will be back in stock and shipping? Seems it has been more than a month and it is hard to tell if this platform is going to stay in business.

@seemry
I’m not sure where you’re getting this information, or if you’re just being presumptuous, “hard to tell if this platform is going to stay in business.“ I’m sure you saw the message on the order page.

You can reserve a unit from our next shipment. After completing your purchase, we will email updates to keep you informed of your shipping date.

If you have firsthand information, Helm is going out of business, please share. I am a current Helm server owner and I haven’t heard anything of the sort.

I don’t know that anyone has first hand knowledge but I also share the concern. I’ve two of the devices - personal and community - and so believe in what they are working to accomplish. That said, the rate at which they are delivering on their promises (VPN, the drive bay, the once rumored expansion unit, etc.), the size of the community, their revenue model, and the amount of communications from them do make me wonder.

And moving back to google or spinning up my own email on synology really doesn’t make me happy so I hope they can make it for the long run or have an exit strategy that lets me keep the device running even at a fixed firmware level…

1 Like

I reached out to Helm directly, specifically on the subject of staying in business. Here is their response. I’m satisfied with this response.

Helm Support (Helm Support)

Dec 20, 10:48 AM PST

Hi -

We are working on our next manufacturing run which is taking a bit longer than anticipated but Helm owners don’t have anything to worry about.

Thanks,
Helm Support

Welcome to our community site and thanks for your question! We are working on getting dates and will be emailing all customers who have placed a pre-order when we have them. We will also update our site at that time. There isn’t a risk of Helm going out of business.

1 Like

We have soft launched this community site but have not emailed our mailing list to make them aware of it as we shake out any issues/bugs. We appreciate your participation while we work out issues before we announce its availability to all customers.

1 Like

Great to hear. Very little communication in the blog and the shop page for an extended period of time. Paying for a new product and service in advance is risky when it is unknown as to when, or if, you might get it. Simple short update once a week would go a long way.

1 Like

I’ve been patiently waiting longer than a month and hope their product is worth the wait. It would be great customer service if the company gave us a rough timeline, such as “Q1 or Q2 of year 2020”. I understand they can’t give any promises and they’re a start up company, but at least notify us early investors a progress report to easy our minds in display of excellence.

Agreed. I almost purchased when they first launched and came back to find the sold out notice. Every time I checked there was no “buy” page update, blog update, note in the community section, nothing anywhere, almost as if the business was winding down- I’ve seen that happen previously elsewhere. Just will not pay in advance in hopes that someday a start-up second production run will ship, especially given how quite the user community is.

1st Post:
I’m looking forward to receiving my back ordered Helm. Glad to
see personal mail servers coming to market so folks can manage
their own coms.

In the mean time I will deploy my own to keep current. I’ll order
hardware Thursday, expect everything to arrive by Monday.

Can y’all suggest how long it’ll take to set up?

Thanks,
Joe

How long before you’re comfortable managing a UNIX system and internet accessible services and ensuring they are properly secured, patched, and protected? Probably not less than 2-3yrs.

2 Likes

In 1980 I was booting SYS III from Bell labs tapes. Built & managed LPL.Arizona.EDU until I retired a year ago. So quite comfy w/unix.

Had to focus on oldguy stuff … a week delay
Joe

BTW nice est on experience needed… Guess the time is a couple hours if you know what your doing?

Less time than reading/writing this thread.

Looking forward to being my own postmaster again,

Joe

Yeah, probably fair. Assuming everything goes smoothly and you don’t have to debug/troubleshoot anything. Or maybe a couple hours of debugging the ‘docker compose up’ for the prebuilt container and your environment. YMMV

Experience with reading data off tapes is good. You’re less likely to get frustrated with how slow things get :wink:

Just asked for a refund for my deposit ‘Paid on Wed, Nov 20, 2019’ because they still don’t have an ETA. Not sure why Helm is taking deposits and promoting their product when it’s backordered for a long unknown period of time. If they are a little more transparent, I would trust them. Not sure why they can’t give more details and what they are hiding… My guess is financial troubles. Probaly their first business, so they’re not sure what to do?.. The most common issues comes down to money, right? They could have made some financial mistakes that lead them to believe that they had all the funding needed to start up and promote Helm. Possibly a primary funder backed out? Could also be an organizational issue where management isn’t running business properly? Not trying to bash them, but being in the retail business, I understand the importance of customer centric service. To be blunt, It seems like they are hiding under a rock because of some internal fear.

Agreed. Disappointing as I was an advocate when they first started up and let my network of information security friends know about the solution. Looks like another tech startup that is ready to implode given the lack of transparency.

@HelmNewbie Wow… You’re still waiting! Giri (owner) has been a part of half a dozen startups, so this isn’t his first rodeo, but you can’t wait forever. Well, hopefully they read your post and make it right. Good luck to you!

It does seem awfully weird to be out of stock for so long and not have any updates. Wonder if they’re going through a hardware redesign?

I’m hopeful for the future of Helm. Even though it seems like it’s been primarily targeted for a home consumer market, I think it’s a very intriguing small business solution. A relatively painless way to break away from Gmail! :smiley:

I think we all are hopeful. In that same hope, I believe @helm_community should respond to the warranted speculation, because the conversation has already begun.