Need VPN now? Have a spare Raspberry Pi? Read on

So I’m sure or (at least hopeful) that the Helm VPN feature will be very nice when it is ready. However, what to do in the meantime? Well, if you have a spare Raspberry Pi (I had a 4b laying around) you can set up your own home VPN server pretty easily.

Just follow the directions from this blog post:

When you get to the “Configuring the Wireguard client, part 2” step, there’s a nice bonus for us Helm users: you can use “files.[primary.domain]:51820” (or whatever port you chose) as your Endpoint. Your Helm is already maintaining a DNS A record for files.[primary.domain] updated with your home IP address, so no need to bother with dynamic DNS.

My first client for this VPN server was my iPhone, and one thing I really like about the WireGuard app for iOS is that it supports On-Demand Activation. For instance, you can enable Cellular and WiFi on-demand activation and then exclude your home WiFi SSID. Then when you’re out and about, all your traffic is automatically tunneled over to your home network.

1 Like

Cryptokey Routing is interesting. I loaded a VPN directly onto an opensource AC travel router, then hardwired The Helm to said router. The Pi seems interesting. I’ll look into this. Thanks!

I should note the brand and name of the AC travel router is GL.iNet GL-AR750S-EXT, otherwise called Slate. You can install openVPN or Wireguard direct to router.