While the V2 looks great, and I’m glad to hear about the updates, I’m still wondering when we’ll see some updates for V1? Would love to get that long awaited storage expansion!
We’re working on it and will share some updates as soon as we can!
@KGMe it has been awhile. I hope all is well, all things considered.
From a business standpoint, I get it. It is all about new v2 business and converting existing v1 to v2 business. Whether Helm admits it to v1 only consumers, or not. v2 consumers are the priority. It is the new shiny toy.
Some v1 consumers paid 2x more then the now better and lower priced, lowest tier, v2. Helm would not be where it is today without us, yet we are still waiting a year later for updates.
I will check back later.
Helm V1 and Helm V2 will largely be running the same platform and Helm services. There are some underlying firmware components that are different because they are running on different hardware platforms, but we expect the same Helm services to run on both versions of the hardware and the same mobile apps will work with each version as well. We should have made this clearer and I apologize if there was any confusion about this.
Regarding expanded storage, we developed expanded storage to beta status internally. As we made progress on V2, however, we realized that we need to account for some scenarios that would affect how expanded storage, backups and more would work on the V1. As a result, we have had to revisit how we want expanded storage to work on V1 Helms and update the corresponding implementation. The good news is that the experience will be considerably better than what was originally designed and will work in a way that will make any potential transition from the V1 to the V2 more seamless. We haven’t provided enough transparency around these changes and for this I apologize. We are working to share more updates and be more transparent overall and I hope you can see some of these changes showing elsewhere.
To help get updates out sooner, we are going to split the V1 update we’ve been working on into 2 parts. The first part will enable VPN services on the Helm and address some lingering bugs regarding backups. It will also have the ability to remotely reboot a Helm via the mobile app. We are tentatively expecting to roll this update out around the time that we begin shipping V2 Helms. We will follow with the expanded storage update afterward.
@giri thanks for laying out specifics for the v1 and v2. It goes a long away.
Happy New Year!
Now that V2 is starting to ship this week, thought I’d check in to see what status might be for V1 updates?
March 1st of 2019 which is 2.5 years ago I was told VPN was coming out in the next couple of months. For the other features I have been waiting for (Password management, Family chat and messaging, Expandable Storage) I have been told things like soon or after 2.5 years which is apparently “soon” it started to be when v2 hardware gets shipped v1 will get new firmware. That didn’t make sense to me since one of the reasons they reference is hardware availability which doesn’t have anything to do with the firmware and features on v1. So far I have just been strung along while my $800 doesn’t do anything I needed yet. When are the features coming out for v1 hardware? Please provide a real answer so I can build my own solution if there is no intention of providing what I bought the helm for. Thanks for any real information that can be provided.
Just looking for an update.
Hey @giri, congrats on shipping v2 units! I love the v1 product you made and believe in the vision of the company. At this point v1 customers patiently for years for some of the promised features, and paying for software support the entire time. If we need to let go of those promises and upgrade to the v2 hardware it would be frustrating, but helpful to know.
Hey @giri, the v2 units have been shipping for a few weeks now. v1 owners have been told that updates for our units would be available roughly when the v2 units ship. You also mentioned that the company hasn’t provided enough transparency about the updates in December, and unless I’ve missed something it’s been quiet for v1 owners the last 8 months.
I really love Helm and I want to feel good about spending more money with the company and recommending it to others. Can you help me out?
Same thoughts and feelings here.
Please stop hiding posts and answer the questions or better yet provide what you promised.
I flagged your post. It’s funny that you think they are going under when they are trying to keep up with orders for their new product. For those of us who are customers and want to see them do well, continuing to neg them isn’t helping anyone. Find another place to let off your steam.
I had been in frequent contact with Helm throughout the first year of service a couple years ago and based on what I was told I bought the device with all of the things I needed coming “soon”. I don’t see what a different model has to do with providing software updates for what was supposed to available years ago. I have been told specific timelines over and over. Had stuff randomly stop working with no other resolution other than to reboot. Had my service auto renew earlier than the expiration date. I really do want to see something good come from Helm but for almost three years now things have not been good and now the lack of response is getting me worked up for sure. Apologies.
@helm_fanatic for those of us who have been customers for years and want the features we were promising, your posts and actions are worse than unhelpful. Please just stop.
Keeping the question alive. @giri please update.
Keeping the question alive. @giri please update.
@giri Please let us know what the Helms plan is for all of the needed feature updates vor V1 users. Please.
@giri still hoping for some v1 news. It’s going to be a lot easier to pay the annual fee if there’s active development.
Hi there - our plan remains the same: to support V1 and V2 customers in parallel with software updates going forward. We did recently update all V1 customers with a platform update to improve some backend API calls that were needed, a fix for SPF validation and the Nextcloud 20 update. We have more updates pending and planned and will share more when there’s more certainty on features and timelines.