Helm nameservers/ddns (existing domain transfer)

I’m a new helm user and am finally getting around to moving an existing domain to my v2. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize/didn’t fully think about that helm wants to manage all of the dns for the domain; not just the email bits. I currently use dynamic dns (ddns) for some of my records (across a few different sites), but can’t find any information if helm supports any kind of ddns. Does anyone know? If it doesn’t, is there any way to keep using my existing nameservers and just manually add the required records?

Thanks for any info!

The files service using dynamic DNS to route traffic so you can create CNAME records that point to files.[yourdomain] to keep your dynamic DNS records pointing to your dynamic IP.

An alternative option is to set up your Helm with another primary domain and use the existing domain as a secondary domain. Secondary domains require setting a handful of records with your DNS provider for your existing domain.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I have multiple physical locations/IP addresses, so I need a bit more flexibility than just the location the Helm is at. I would also rather have the Helm use my main domain as certain services (like files) are always tied to the primary.

Is there any programmatic way to set records? (I assume you are using Route53?) I can code, so that wouldn’t be a problem.

As a last resort, I suppose I could use a different domain for ddns and use CNAME records from the primary domain, but that adds extra complexity.

Thanks!

“An alternative option is to set up your Helm with another primary domain and use the existing domain as a secondary domain. Secondary domains require setting a handful of records with your DNS provider for your existing domain.”

How does one go about changing the primary domain?

Please contact support and we will provide instructions for doing a factory reset which is what’s required for changing the primary domain.

1 Like