Helm App via Emulator?

For much the same reason that I got a Helm, I’m switching from a smartphone to a more basic one. Since the Helm can only be administered via an app, I can think of only two ways to manage my server:

1. Install the admin app on someone else’s device (I only have one device.) This is sub-optimal, but is a native solution.
  2. Run the admin app via emulation (on the Android Studio, for example). I think this is the better option, but I can’t seem to get it to work, even for virtual machines with App Store support.

Does anyone have any ideas if the admin app can be run via emulation, and if so how? It’s going to take me a couple weeks to get things switched over, and I need to figure this out first – the Helm app is the only one that I don’t have sorted out at this point. I figure the developers must have some way of testing things, so I’m guessing there’s a way…

Thanks in advance for any ideas/guidance.

Any reason you can’t just keep an old smartphone around just for using the Helm app? Without cell service you’ll be limited to using it on WiFi, but that’s still more convenient than installing an Android emulator on a laptop or desktop PC.

I have a drawer full of usable but older Android phones. (Limited space, slower, 3G-only, etc.) I’m sure your friends/family do as well.