Battery Backup for Helm

Has anyone invested in a battery backup for your email in the occurrence of a power outage?

Yes, every device in my SME (Structured Media Enclosure) which includes my Wifi, Cable Modem, and video doorbell is plugged into a 1,500 VA UPS (COSTCO).
And, I have provisions for when the Helm device is commissioned, it too will be plugged into that same UPS.
With the load I presently have connected to my UPS it is good for at least 5 hours of runtime if the power goes off.

1 Like

yup, APC3000 powers all my infrastructure, including the helm.

1 Like

APC 1500 here as well.

Yes. I highly suggest everyone get one. Its also very convenient for computers so they don’t suddenly turn off and lose work. (And it is always healthier for them to turn off properly).

I got one several months ago, and it has already saved my bacon a few times.

Mine is connected to an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 with the extra battery pack option, expanding the time I can run on a UPS. The modem, router and Helm are on this UPS. My PC’s are on another UPS system. This way the Helm/Internet/Router will be up the longest, even when I am away.

Like others have said it is a must to have one for electronic devices. Under voltage ( brown outs ) does more harm to electronics than over voltage.

lots of great info here for our community - thanks everyone

Helm servers also have a battery inside to provide power for safe power down in the event of power loss.

Email is a pretty resilient protocol. Even if you have a power outage for a day or two, you will almost always get all your mail eventually. I live in southern Arizona and we often lose power for an hour or two maybe once a week or so during monsoon season. I have my modem, network, and Helm all on a UPS and I haven’t lost internet in years! Often your upstream connection for internet will have a significant battery backup or other failsafes for power. If it’s very mission critical (and you still want your email server in your home), you could always have an LTE failover about $150-200 and a small or free monthly fee or Starlink failover for a bit more. I’d bet that gets you to 3 or 4 “9’s” of uptime.

2 Likes

Yes. Three times. I looked at Wirecutter to decide. It is more to protect from brown-outs (rare in my area) and surges during power fail/return – my neighborhood’s lines are still above ground: one caught on fire midday and everyone at home ran outside in surprise(pretty funny actually), and we have several risky thunderstorms/lightning/hail/superheavy snow/super high temps per year, coupla mystery outages last year. A good unit will give you time to save your work and shut everything down gracefully – remember to replace the thing after a big issue bec it loses its ability to trip properly, which you can read about. It’s “cheap insurance” and massive time/stress saver. Count up your devices before you decide – it’s surprising how many you’ll want to protect, once you have the opportunity.